Monday 30 March 2015

Aba Abdillah (a.s) - my inspiration to begin this journey

Salamun Alaikum dear readers,

For the past few years, I have been on a quest to device Islamic teaching materials using the Montessori ethos and concepts. The pursuit began in the Summer of 2013, when after talking to my colleague about wanting to do something 'meaningful' for the community, I started jotting down ideas for activities that could be produced. My book of ideas began to fill up but due to time restrictions, no 'action' was yet taken...

In December 2013, we were blessed to visit Aba Abdillah (a.s) and after this enlightening spiritual journey, I made a niyyat to InshaAllah take my vision forward before the next Muharram. This thought of mine stayed in my head all year but again, as I was juggling work, studies, family at the same time, the opportunity to take this step was not arising. However, in September 2014, I completed my studies and now, had time to spare! But the month of Muharram was approaching fast... I decided that during the half term, I would dedicate time to start producing some of the ideas from my book. With Aba Abdillah (a.s) as my inspiration and the wise words of Sheikh Khalil Jaffer on his amazing lectures of the origin and the return, my journey finally began...

Using my experience and knowledge on Montessori materials and ideas, I made a number of activities to teach various concepts about Islam. Alhamdulillah, they were turning out great and before the day of Ashura, I completed a few materials! I approached another Montessori teacher in our community to show her the materials, who thought they were fabulous. I was then in search for a platform where these materials could be 'test driven...'

When your intention is pure, it is amazing what falls on your way... I met the coordinator of the younger classes in our Madressa at a course and told her about my project. She was soooo delighted and explained that she was just after such materials! She requested for me to visit the Madressa to share the ideas with her team. Alhamdulillah, the response from them was very positive and encouraging. I was given ideas and requests on what they required according to their syllabus. Now, I had a real 'drive' to make things happen! Ideas and thoughts continued to 'pop up' in my head and from then on, I continued making a range of materials. By the start of the new academic year, various activities were produced. These materials were presented to the teachers, with guidelines on their usage and once again, the feedback was promising Alhamdulillah! These materials have given teachers ideas on making their lessons more interactive and visual for children. My 'test drive' on the children prove to be successful Alhamdulillah!

It has now become my venture to share these ideas with all those in search for ideas to teach Islam in a fun, interactive and meaningful way...  So watch this space!



No comments:

Post a Comment